1/4 (scant) cup each finely minced celery, onion and bell pepper
1 large minced clove of garlic
˝ stick butter
1/4 cup flour
1 12oz beer (not dark)
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups half and half, heated
2 large roasted red peppers, peeled, seeded and pureed
1/4 tsp. each dried oregano, basil, chili powder and cumin
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 oz. grated mild cheddar
salt, cayenne pepper and hot sauce to taste
- Melt butter in a large, heavy stock pot over medium heat and add celery, onion, pepper and garlic Cook until very soft, 4-5 minutes.
- Add flour cook, stirring continuously for a few minutes
- Add beer and stock, cook stirring, bring to a slow simmer.
- Add half and half, roasted pepper puree, seasonings and cheeses, while stirring and bring back to a simmer. Season to taste with salt, cayenne and hot sauce.
- Serve with tortilla chips
As with most soups, it’s always better made a day ahead.
You can fine tune it to your taste, i.e add fresh cilantro, jalapenos or green chilies or try different cheeses.